Skills Gap is all about– Gaps in the skills that are expected :
- of a particular job occupied by an employee and that of the employee in that job.
- in the future and that are prevalent in the organization or jobs.
Skills Gap Analysis helps:
- individuals appreciate their skills gap and work towards developing the necessary skills.
- organization’s training or HR function to plan development initiatives to cover the skills gap in a focused manner.
- organization in taking decisions, on how to fill the gaps in the skills that are required and answering below questions:
-should it focus on developing the skills? or,
-should it plan to hire from outside?.
So, how do we do skills gap analysis easily, yet, precisely and meaningfully?
No initiative in HR can be successful if it is not easy for people to use and if they do not see value in it.
It’s Your Skills (IYS) is one such platform, which offers an easy to use, simple application to perform skills gap analysis.
The other good things about performing Skills Gap Analysis through It’s Your Skills is that:
- it can be tried on a small set of employees before rolling out to a larger group.
- it is backed by the most comprehensive set of skills classified to precisely articulate the skills of jobs and that of individuals
- the utility of performing analysis can be instantly viewed and experienced by both the employee and organization.
- enables powerful analysis for better decision making.
A typical IYS Skills Gap Analysis flow would be:
- Managers create Job Skills Profiles (JSP) for various jobs within the organizations by articulating the:
-functional/technical and behavioural skills required for the job, and
-expected proficiency levels in these skills.
It’s Your Skills enables the JSP creation with the IYS Skills Profiler.
- The JSPs are assigned to the employees i.e. those who are performing these jobs in the company.
- The employees are able to the see the assigned Skills Profile (without the proficiency levels).
- Employees do a self assessment i.e. indicate what skills they have and the proficiency level in the skills they have.
- Once the self assessment is done by the employee, the Employee Skills Profile is reviewed by the reporting managers.
- Managers share feedback on the skills of the employee.
- Based on review, Employee Skills Profiler may either be approved or be sent back to employees for reconsideration.
- Once all the Employee Skills Profiles are reviewed, two data sets will be created, i.e. the Job Skills Profiler and the Employee Skills Profile.
- Comparison between above two give skill and employee-wise input on the gaps in the skills.
- We can perform several different analysis using this information, such as:
- Which skills have large gaps and need immediate attention
- Which segments of the organization have the highest skills gap
- Which employees need development attention on what skill
And many more.
Ramu is founder of It's Your Skills. Feels he has been fortunate to have had education in engineering and human resources and experience in non-IT and IT industries. They have helped him evolve an all round perspective on the talent space.